Saturday, May 16, 2009

Reducing pain during vaccination - order of vaccines may make a difference too!

The commonest cause of induced pain in infants is due to multiple vaccines being given by the pediatrician.
This excellent study shows that infants given DTaP combination vaccine BEFORE the Pneumococcal Pneumonia vaccine, have less pain than those who are immunized in the reverse order.
Given the fact that both these vaccinations are being routinely administered by pediatricians in India, I think this is a really useful study that can change office practice.
I would be interested in knowing if this holds true for the normal DPT vaccine too. Also would this hold true if any other vaccine (like Inj Polio) is given separately too.
I guess that would have to wait for another study though!
As far as I am concerned, I would be giving the DTaP BEFORE any other vaccination if more than one injections are needed.


No comments: